WHAT IS THE CHOICES PROGRAM?
THE CHOICES PROGRAM PROVIDES AN ALTERNATIVE-TO-CUSTODY SENTENCING OPTION FOR YOUTH IN CONFLICT WITH THE LAW, AND/OR A YOUNG OFFENDER COMMUNITY INTERVENTION SERVICE; ASSISTING YOUNG OFFENDERS TO ADDRESS FACTORS LEADING TO THEIR ILLEGAL BEHAVIOURS AND IMPROVE THEIR FUNCTIONING IN THE COMMUNITY.
THE FOCUS IS TO HELP THE YOUTH INCREASE THEIR:
- NATURAL AND COMMUNITY RESOURCES
- FUNCTIONING IN THE COMMUNITY
- EMOTIONAL STABILITY
- PARENTING CAPACITY (IF APPLICABLE)
- INTERPERSONAL AND LIFE SKILLS
- HARM REDUCTION STRATEGIES
WHAT SERVICES DO WE PROVIDE?
- INDIVIDUAL COUNSELING
- PARENTING SUPPORT
- RECREATION AND PRO-SOCIAL ACTIVITIES
- COMPREHENSIVE ASSESSMENT
- SERVICE PLANNING (GOAL DEVELOPMENT) BASED IN THE INDIVIDUALS STRENGTHS, NEEDS, ABILITIES AND PREFERENCES OF EACH YOUTH.
- EMOTIONAL, SOCIAL, AND INTERPERSONAL SKILL DEVELOPMENT
- GROUP-BASED LIFE SKILL PROGRAMMING
- COLLABORATION AND CASE MANAGEMENT SUPPORT WITH OTHER SERVICES
- SUPPORT WITH INCREASING COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
- TRANSITION PLANNING AND SUPPORT
HOW TO ACCESS THIS SERVICE?
The program primarily serves high-risk young offenders, between the ages of 13 and 17; exceptions may be made for older youth that are still under a youth probation order after they turn 18.
The program serves young offenders which have been assessed by their Youth Probation Officer as needing community intervention services and support, and/or youth which have been sentenced to attend the program for counseling as a condition of their probation order, and/or youth returning from youth detention or custody and require support to re-integrate to life in the community.
Referrals are initially screened for eligibility by the Kelowna Youth Probation Officer or Team Leader, and then forwarded directly to and screened by the ARC Program Director.
HOW LONG DOES THE CHOICES PROGRAM WORK WITH YOUTH?
Duration and frequency of service is determined in cooperation with the youth and is based on their individual needs and goals for service.
Kelly Stewart, Program Director
250 763 2977