WHAT IS THE YOUTH SERVICES PROGRAM?
THE YOUTH SERVICES PROGRAM PROVIDES CASE MANAGEMENT/SERVICE COORDINATION AND SUPPORT SERVICES TO: ASSIST HOMELESS/HIGH-RISK YOUTH TO ADDRESS PERSONAL BARRIERS TO BECOMING INDEPENDENT; AND/OR SUPPORT SEXUALLY EXPLOITED YOUTH TO REDUCE THEIR INVOLVEMENT IN SEXUAL EXPLOITATION RELATED ACTIVITIES. THE PROGRAM SUPPORTS YOUTH ON YOUTH AGREEMENTS THROUGH THE MINISTRY FOR CHILD AND FAMILY DEVELOPMENT.
THE FOCUS IS TO HELP THE YOUTH INCREASE THEIR:
- NATURAL AND COMMUNITY RESOURCES
- HARM REDUCTION STRATEGIES
- EMOTIONAL STABILITY
- INTERPERSONAL AND LIFE SKILLS
- INCREASE YOUTH INVOLVEMENT IN SCHOOL, EMPLOYMENT AND IN PROSOCIAL ACTIVITIES
WHAT SERVICES DO WE PROVIDE?
- SKILLS AND AWARENESS IN RELATION TO DAILY LIVING
- INDIVIDUAL COUNSELING AND SUPPORT SERVICES
- SERVICE PLANNING (GOAL DEVELOPMENT) BASED ON THE INDIVIDUAL STRENGTHS, NEEDS, ABILITIES NAD PREFERENCES OF EACH YOUTH
- HEALTH AND MENTAL HEALTH EDUCATION
- SKILLS AROUND EMPLOYMENT AND TRAINING
- EMOTIONAL, SOCIAL, AND INTERPERSONAL SKILL DEVELOPMENT
- EDUCATION AROUND SUBSTANCE USE AND MISUSE
- ASSISTANCE IN SECURING AND MAINTAINING HOUSING
- REFERRAL, COLLABORATION AND CASE MANAGEMENT SUPPORT WITH OTHER SERVICES
- TRANSITION PLANNING AND SUPPORT
HOW TO ACCESS THIS SERVICE?
The program serves high-risk youth that are disenfranchised from their families and other community supports from the age of 16 to 18. Youth that are found eligible to be on an MCFD Youth Agreement would be admitted to the program. Youth referred and identified as being involved in sexual exploitation related activities may be provided direct support and individuals counseling services, whether or not entering into a Youth Agreement is considered an appropriate plan for the youth.
Youth attend a screening meeting with an MCFD Social worker and an ARC Youth Service Counsellors to apply for the program.
HOW LONG DOES THE YOUTH SERVICES PROGRAM WORK WITH YOUTH?
Duration and frequency of service depends on the individual needs and goals of each youth.
Kelly Stewart, Program Director
250 763 2977